What is it?
The over 60’s active leisure scheme has been introduced across Wales to encourage physical activity and healthy lifestyle choices to reduce health inequalities and social isolation for the over 60’s age group. This scheme has been funded by Sport Wales who have invested £1.3 million pounds to enable the 60 plus population in Wales to live longer, better and happier lives by improving their physical activity levels, confidence, strength and balance. Across Pembrokeshire we have branded our scheme ‘Active 4 Life’.
Who is the scheme for?
The ‘Active 4 Life’ scheme is aimed at the 60+ population.
Our scheme is has three main components:
- The scheme aims to increase the activities/events on offer to the 60+ community as a whole irrelevant of current activity levels.
- Has an association with Pembrokeshire Leisure where a baseline offer runs continuously to encourage those who are currently inactive to start their exercise/wellness journey.
- Runs in the local community reaching out to secluded areas of the county to provide a stepping-stone to those who may not wish to attend a leisure facility.
Active 4 Life – Pembrokeshire Leisure
‘Active 4 Life’ have an exclusive offer in association with Pembrokeshire Leisure which comprises of 4 weeks of activities for free, followed by 12 weeks at a subsidised cost.
The 16-week offer
To be eligible for the 16-week offer users must be registered with Pembrokeshire Leisure. This is free of charge and can be done online or at your nearest facility.
Eligible users receive 4 weeks of activities for free, followed by an additional 12 week period where activities are charged at a subsidised rate of £2.50 per session.* Users who are not eligible for the 16-week offer are not discouraged to take part in the activities promoted by ‘Active 4 Life’ but standard user fees do apply.
*terms & conditions:
The sessions/activities included are subject to change. Personal training and National Exercise Referral sessions are not included in this offer. Eligibility criteria must be met to qualify for subsidised pricing.
- Group exercise classes (excludes water based sessions)
- A kickstart (introduction to the fitness suite)
- Fitness suite access
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the 16-week offer you must:
- Be a registered Pembrokeshire Leisure user
- Have registered since April 2021 or have not returned to facilities in the previous 12 months (i.e. currently inactive)
- Be aged 60+
- Be a resident of Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire or Ceredigion.
What is on offer to all 60+ individuals across Pembrokeshire Leisure?
- Free swimming at any Pembrokeshire Leisure facility every Monday
- Free fitness suite access at any Pembrokeshire Leisure facility every Monday
- Free swimming at all times for anyone in receipt of Pension Credit Guarantee (PCG)
- Concessionary rates for Public Swimming & Aquatic Classes for those aged 60+ (not in receipt of PCG) Tuesday to Sunday
- A 6-month Public Swimming Pass for just £45
Active 4 Life – Community
‘Active 4 Life’ are in the local community offering a range of activities and events within village halls and community spaces to provide the initial stepping-stone for 60+ individuals to engage and become more active. All sessions/events outside of Pembrokeshire Leisure are open to anyone aged 60+ irrelevant of currently activity levels.
Community collaborations run for a limited time and appear in different locations approximately every 3 months. The sessions on offer vary to provide variety and move around the county to ensure the scheme reaches as many secluded areas as possible. The aim of these collaborations is to bring the scheme directly to the consumer to bridge the initial gap between the user and the service being offered.
‘Active 4 Life’ provide a social group every other month. This group aims to increase socialisation and engagement amongst the 60+ community providing a safe space to connect with new people, try new things and learn more about the scheme itself and other initiatives across the county. On offer, there are complimentary refreshments, a taster activity, the latest news/updates surrounding the scheme and a guest speaker. Sessions run for around two hours and appear in a different community location bimonthly.
How can I get involved?
Register Online – Pembrokeshire Leisure
Join@home with Pembrokeshire Leisure - Once registered if you are eligible for the 16-week offer this will automatically be applied to your Pembrokeshire Leisure account within 3 working days.
Visit your nearest Facility
Visit or call your local Pembrokeshire Leisure Centre to find out more information.
Join the conversation on our Facebook Group